On the Hogan's Heroes television series, the Underground is the name given to the German resistance movement to the Nazis. In the TV series, the Underground would assist Colonel Hogan's men and the Allies in general by collecting military intelligence, rescuing Allied pilots, spying on the Nazi German military and sabotaging the German war effort.
The Underground is mainly made up of ordinary Germans who do not agree with the policies of the Nazi regime, but also include certain members of the elite and the military, especially towards the end of the war when they realize that the war is lost.
Widerstand (German: 'resistance') is the general name given to the resistance movements inside Nazi Germany both before and during World War II.
The last assassination attempt against Hitler, called the July 20 Plot, resulted in the capture and executions of more than 4,800 known or suspected opponents of his regime, effectively destroying the resistance movement.
- Widerstand Wikipedia article
- Swing Kids Wikipedia article
- Edelweiss Pirates Wikipedia article
- Red Orchestra Wikipedia article
- Operation Spark (1940) Wikipedia article
- White Rose Wikipedia article
- Kreisau Circle Wikipedia article
- July 20 Plot article
- Wikipedia article on the 1982 German film, Die Weiße Rose (The White Rose)
- Wikipedia article on the 2005 German film Sophie Scholl - Die letzten Tage (Sophie Scholl - The Final Days)